Sunday, May 30, 2010

Writing Process Post (Week 10)

This piece definitely had the most up's and down's out of all my pieces written so far. Here are some things that helped or hurt me:

Talking to Amy Rodgers is what sparked this piece and reading her responses from past interviews really helped. She talked about the female role and dance and in academia so passionately that this definitely inspired the topic.

Students are flaky. I started interviewing two weeks ago, getting in touch with students by email. But they are hard to get in touch with. I feel like I didn't get all the student representation that I wanted. Would it be too much to add more students? Or what about male voices? I also wonder if I should add any professors to the mix to get their take? But for me, the students seemed to be more open about their opinions with gender divides on campus because they actually are a direct part of it first hand. Is the authoritative role a good thing to add though?

I ended up finding that The Tempest is what connected all of my interviews together. It was really interesting because each one actually mentioned the play at some point or another. I thought this was a good connection but then did it focus too much on theater and not enough on the other arts?

I really did enjoy writing/interviewing for this piece though. Especially being involved in the arts on our campus myself, it was really interesting to see what people had to say. I would like to interview some males in the next few days as well though. I asked each student what their definition and meaning for feminism was and it was interesting to compare all of them. I think it would be interesting to find a male's perspective on this. I also realized that I need to add much, much more details and descriptions. My article is obviously for an Index audience, so how much detail is too much?

2 comments:

  1. I don't think that you need very many more voices--it'll start to be too many, and you already kind of need more narrative as it is. I do think it would be interesting to get a women's studies prof perspective, though--Gail and Karyn both tend to speak very candidly about gender on K's campus, so they may be good sources. At the very least you could talk to them and then decide if you want to use them (or, if you're doing your video project on this, you could use them in that).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe try to get rid of the other arts? At least the music, that seems to be sorta added on and it adds a lot of problematic things. Defining feminism wouldn't hurt either because it can be really broad. Good job, though!

    ReplyDelete