Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Reading Response To "Writing for Story" (Week 3)

For me, the most interesting idea was definitely the "Outline" chapter that Marin told us to read thoroughly. I read this chapter first, which made it even more interesting, because then I read from the beginning and really thought about the storyline and the process Franklin may have taken to write his chapters. Outlines begin the writing process--"the outline level is by far the most abstract of the three and yet, in a certain sense, the most straightforward" 101). In this section, the most important thing I noticed was the structure of outlining in general. Writing many papers before, my outlines have consisted of the usual: intro, paragraph 1, 2, 3, conclusion, etc. But after reading this chapter, I see the importance of relating the action with the resolution. With what Franklin was saying, we should be able to pick that "one word" (as we discussed in class) to sum up our writing. Devotion, or guilt, or personal growth--an outline should be clear enough to pick this one word and main focus. I had never thought of an outline like this before, and it will definitely help in future writings and editing.

3 comments:

  1. I thought this was the most helpful chapter, too. It makes me wonder, though: does this outlining strategy work for other kinds of writing? Probably for a fictional short story...probably for any kind of writing where there is a main character, a conflict, and a resolution. But besides that, could it be adapted to fit to a non-fiction essay (for example, a piece like the one Myles had us read for this week) or a poem? I'm skeptical...but it's not meant to do that, anyway. I did, however, make one of these outlines for my personal essay piece that we turned in for week 2, and I think it's going to help a lot with my revision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of making the outline straightforward enough that you can pick the "one word" from just reading the outline. I think that strategy will definitely yield a strong outline and finished story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Guilt"? It shows what kind of person that I am that sticks in my mind rather than the multitude of good points that you make. I might steal that for my outline. Good use of the quote leading into a description of your own outlining process. I also like how you didn't ramble on but were succinct and I think that utilized some of the techniques that Franklin gave us.

    ReplyDelete